March 20th, 2015
… is coming, and it’s about time, isn’t it. But before you are off into a hopefully sunny and spring-ish weekend, we have some seemingly small but – as we believe – very useful changes to report.
- Added a teeth-whitening-tool. Three sliders allow adjustment. In oder to avoid whitening parts of the skin surrounding the mouth, please select the teeth area as exactly as possible, and during adjustment watch out not only for the teeth, but especially the skin.
- Added more than 20 new objects, borders and overlays/textures for the “Decorate” tool. Also, we removed a few old ones which weren’t that .. uhm… great. That tool also has (again) gotten a bigger preview. In Camera & Lens tools, there are two new effects, one if which is the “center focus” tool, which we used for the pictures in this post for highlighting the interesting part.
- All tool selectors can now be resized to show more effect icons at once. Unfortunately, this does not work on Internet Explorer.
- In order to simplify the upload process, photos to be uploaded can now also be dragged into the empty space to the left of the last uploaded photo. No need to open the upload form. Just drag a photo file from your explorer/finder into that area, and it will be uploaded. (Works in Chrome, FF, Opera, IE >= 10, etc) Update: This is in the works again, it showed to be slightly unpractical. Will provide a better solution tomorrow. Update 2: Fixed. Now a hard-to-miss big box will appear as soon as you drag a photo into the Phixr browser window.
There you go, …. and for us it’s back to work. Have a nice weekend, and happy phixing!
March 10th, 2015
After dropping a few upload services like ImageShack and Webs, for a change, we now added a new one. A prominent one: Phixr can now upload images directly to your WordPress.com image library.
The process is self-explanatory, and frankly I don’t know what else to say about this feature, apart from it’s a great simplification for all of you bloggers out there.
Please note that Phixr can only support blogs hosted on WordPress.com, not your privately run WordPress installation on your own server.
In other news, we made the preview images in most of the tools much larger and easier to work with, especially on small screens (and therefore also mobile devices).
March 2nd, 2015
Out latest update deals mainly with Facebook, who again decided it’s time to update their back-end API for applications like Phixr. And again, they removed useful stuff which Phixr could offer to you in the past.
The most obvious change is that you won’t get your full friends list in Phixr anymore. Instead, you will only see those of your friends who also use Facebook’s Phixr app (or at least have used it once in the past). This is a little annoying when you were regularly ‘working’ with your friends’ photos, but it is outright painful when it comes to tagging: From now on, you can only tag a fraction of your friends from inside Phixr. (Of course, you can still type in a name of a person to be tagged, but it won’t be a link to that person when viewing the photo in FB.) But you know what? If you were to convince all of your friend to use Phixr, that list would grow…. – nah, just kidding.
On the plus side: Nothing else has been changed in a way that might harm your experience using Phixr with Facebook.
Also, you might have noticed that you don’t get to see that Phixr login screen inside Facebook any more. Well, this screen was kind of annoying, and in essence not strictly necessary. When you access the Phixr-FB-app, you are now logged into Phixr automatically. Magic!
Google login now uses OpenID Connect, and that pesky warning from Google about some OpenID 2.0 mumbojumbo is gone.
ImageShack and Webs are no longer supported; the first because they completely changed their API (which is not usefully implemented now), and both because they were rarely used. (And listen ImageShack: Who pays for a photobucket clone these days…? I mean really?!)
Look at the time….. gotta go
June 8th, 2014
Anyway, we have some specials related to the event in our sleeve, have fun.
August 15th, 2013
We are experiencing some issues with Facebook at the moment, so downloading from and uploading to Facebook is currently not functional. Also, Phixr’s Facebook app and page is down. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
For people who used Phixr only from within Facebook: Phixr is not just a Facebook app, it’s also a website. Go to http://www.phixr.com (eventually select your language in the bottom of the page) and start from there.
We hope that we can restore our Facebook features soon.
Update: Facebook app, page and features have been restored. Yeah.
April 2nd, 2013
Phixr is now even better for marking stuff in photos. We added a whole bunch of arrows and circles for highlighting.
Arrows & circles
The Fun Effects tool now has a brightness and contrast slider. This is especially useful for the charcoal, shade and magic halo effects.
Magic Halo (high contrast)
The remaining changes are mostly under the hood, and we’ll spare you the details – Happy phixing!
March 15th, 2013
Phixr is now available in seven languages! This week we added Portuguese. The portuguese version is available at pt.phixr.com. Except for some help text, the site is completely translated. If you find translation errors, drop us a note – we’d be happy to know.
In other news:
- Sliders: Double-clicking on the slider handles now resets the slider to its default value.
- Tool windows: A small lock icon in the title bars now allows locking and unlocking the selection’s aspect ratio. Previously, this was only possible using the respective button in the main window.
- On touch devices, double-tapping the selection resets it.
March 2nd, 2013
We are happy to announce that Phixr now also works on the iPad and probably on Android tablets running Google Chrome for Android. If your fingers are like toothpicks and your eyes the ones of an eagle you might even run it on the iPhone… however, we cannot seriously recommend this. Androids own browser, despite its AppleWebkit background, has some problems – which we are not going to work around.)
In other news:
- If you decide to download your photo in GIF or PNG8 format, Phixr now shows a preview. This is especially useful for deciding on how many colors to use. However, this preview is only supported if the image is smaller than 200×200 pixels. (You shouldn’t be using these file formats for larger images anyway.)
- When you upload an image that is too big to handle, you can now crop and shrink it freely (unlike before). (Feature is online starting March 4th)
- New clipart and new objects for the Decorate tool.
That’s a wrap. Happy phixing!
Phixr Photo Editor
January 31st, 2013
The Collage (aka “Mix/combine photos”) tool has just got its overly long overdue overhaul. Apart from instant previews on modern browsers(*) and improved placement selection, you can now rotate the foreground image and add a shadow or glow (depending on the color you choose – dark makes this a shadow, light a glow). Frequent readers know that instead of words we used to use pictures, and this entry won’t be any exception from this tradition:
The new Collage Tool
And here is an example:
Collage of 6 images (with tilt-shift effect from Camera & Lens tools applied afterwards)
In other (minor) news, the Text tool’s inner bevels can now be blurred. Even though this is only a tiny change, here is a before (without blur) and after (with blur to maximum) example:
Phixr Photo Editor
* Some effects (shadows, transparency) can’t be done instantly.
January 10th, 2013
In the recent weeks we have been updating Phixr quite frequently. The reason for this is a transition to using modern browsers’ full capabilities (read: HTML5) which – among other goodies – allow instant preview operations. A number of tools are already taking advantage of this technology (rotation, crop, many Color Effects, the Decorate tool for objects, Brightness/Contrast/Saturation/etc, Color Balance/Levels, etc).
If you are using Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera or IE 9 (or later), you might have noticed that, in these tools, sliders react faster an, in many cases, immediately. For old browsers (most notably IE8 and older), everything works as before.
In other news:
- The “Instant photo”-tool was moved into the “Picture Frames”-tool;
- several new objects, borders and textures for decorating your photos;
- new fonts;
- new blend modes (vivid light, pin light, linear light, hard mix, etc);
- special effects and decorations for July 4th (US only).
Phixr Photo Editor
Text with "Difference" blend mode
Motion blur with "Green channel" blend mode